One Simple Secret to Improving Your Job Search Results
Posted: 20/08/2012 5:00:00 AM by
Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Jobseekers often want insider information on securing a job in the resources industry. Knowing we’re in touch with employers every day, we get numerous requests at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
to share our secrets for getting a mining job or finding a job on an offshore oil rig. Here’s what we suggest every jobseeker can do to improve their chances of getting a job.
Believe it or not, many resumes and job applications are overlooked simply because the jobseeker did not follow directions. There are three good reasons why you should do exactly what a job advertisement says:
- Many employers, especially the large mining and oil companies, use technology to help them process the vast number of applications they receive every week. When they’ve asked for a resume in a specific format or ask you to send your application to a particular place, it’s because that’s where their software is going to see it. For example, don’t send your resume in a .pdf format if the advertisement says to send a Word document. Don’t email your application to corporate headquarters if the hiring manager gives you an email address. By not following directions, your resume and job application will never be seen.
- Some hiring managers judge a candidate based on whether they follow the directions laid out in the job advertisement. It’s a good sign that someone unwilling to follow a simple set of instructions might not fit into a corporate culture. In an environment where safety is of the utmost importance, the ability and willingness to follow directions is incredibly important.
- It shows you respect the wishes of the management team and are making a concerted effort to obtain employment. The instructions are designed to make it easier for the HR managers to do their job. If you’re not cooperating with their wishes, you’re already at a disadvantage.
Meet the selection criteria
One hiring expert recently made this point in a discussion on LinkedIn
“The majority of my clients don't realise that they need to meet the selection criteria of the job advertisement - sounds strange but true - they read the job ad and know they can do the job, send in their basic resume that is a boring list of what anyone in that trade does and wonder why they don't get a call for an interview.”
What this means for jobseekers
We’ve been told to follow directions for as long as we can remember. Regardless of your talents, experience and qualifications, it’s essential for jobseekers to follow instructions of a job advertisement to the letter. Only then will you get the chance to be considered for the next step.
Did you realise how important it is to follow instructions?
- If you’re considering a job in mining, energy or oil and gas, make sure you visit our industry jobs board where we only advertise real jobs by real employers.
- You can now subscribe to our blog and newsletter from one handy form.We’re publishing new information all the time about employment in the Australian resource industry.
Add your comment